Recipe by TweetysCookin
My mother had this recipe in a VERY old cookbook. It was President Nixon's favorite recipe for chicken I think, hence the name. I make this especially when we have outdoor parties, when I can grill. I made it for my daughter's birthday party, and by the time I got around to eating, the chicken was gone!!! Everyone loves this tasty barbecued chicken! A little salty if you add all it calls for, so you might want to add less. Or you could use garlic powder rather than garlic salt. Enjoy!
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 broiler-fryer chickens, cut up into pieces (or your favorite pieces, like thighs, in value packs)
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt margarine in saucepan.
- Stir in lemon juice, garlic salt, oregano and paprika.
- Put pieces of chicken in tupperware or dishes to marinate in, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour marinade over the chicken and cover it.
- Marinate for at least 4 hours (I do mine overnight), turning over occasionally.
- Place on grill above hot coals.
- Cook until tender, occasionally turning and brushing with marinade.
- Allow 45-75 minutes total cooking time, depending on size of chicken and distance from the coals.