Recipe by LonghornMama
Lots of shredded chicken plus onion, pepper and chiles mixed with a sauce that's a little sweet, a little spicy. Don't leave out the chocolate! Something a little different for dinner that looks quite nice with an easy lattice top.
Top Review by Elmotoo
I thought it was great. Easy to make & great flavor. The poblano & chocolate add great depth. But the kids wouldn't eat it. I did use regular breadsticks for the lattice since I couldn't find the cornbread twists. I will make this again! thank you!
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄3 cup diced seeded poblano chiles or 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, grated
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (11 1/2 ounce) can refrigerated cornbread twists dough
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, peppers and garlic and saute 5 minutes. Stir in cumin and coriander and cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar, scraping skillet to loosen browned bits. Add the chicken and the next 4 ingredients and cook 15 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon chicken mixture into 11x7 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Unroll corn bread dough, separating into strips. Place strips in a lattice fashion over chicken mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown; let stand 15 minutes before serving.