Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have not tried this yet but it looks like something my family would like. Saving for summer grilling. Described as having a crusty edge and juicy, well-seasoned interior; like a good burger only better.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry cornbread stuffing mix
- 3⁄4 cup prepared thick barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 egg
- Prepare a medium-hot barbecue fire or preheat a gas grill; coat grill rack with vegetable oil or cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil; cook the onion and celery over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are softened (about 5 minutes).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the chicken, 1 cup stuffing mix, 1/4 cup barbecue sauce, hot pepper sauce, egg, and cooked vegetables.
- Divide the mixture into 6 parts; form each into an oval loaf about 1-inch thick.
- Spread the remaining stuffing mix on a plate and dip the loaves into the stuffing to coat lightly.
- Grill the loaves on one side for 10 minutes; turn carefully with a spatula, brush the cooked side of the loaves with the remaining 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, then grill about 10-15 minutes or until loaves are cooked through.
- Leftover suggestion: reheat chunks in bottled barbecue sauce thinned with beer; ladle chunks and sauce into sandwich rolls along with coleslaw for a hot barbecue sandwich.