Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This grilling recipe came from a KENYA AND TANZANIA web site and is specifically a Swahili recipe. Serve hot with salad and rice or potatoes. Posted for ZWT4.
- 1 whole chicken, cut in pieces
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 jalapenos
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 small onion, cut in quarters
- salt, to taste
- Fire up your grill.
- Place all ingredients except chicken in blender or food processor and blend until finely chopped.
- Spread the resulting mixture over the chicken and let it stand for 20 to 30 minutes (or even longer).
- Barbecue the chicken over a charcoal fire, medium heat, until it is cooked about 15-20 minutes.
We enjoyed this chicken recipe very much but we used chicken thighs as my HB does not like the chicken skin
I really like barbecued chicken and this recipe looked very interesting with the jalapenos, garlic, and onion. The chicken was easy to prepare and it came out moist and tasty. However, the next time I prepare this dish, I will save a little of the jalapeno mixture to serve on top of the chicken to add a bit more kick at the end. Thanks for posting this recipe. Made for ZWT4.
Looking for a simple way to prepare chicken thighs I came across this recipe and knew it would perfect for Sunday supper. After preparing the rub, I pulled back the skin a bit and placed some of the onion mix underneath so that it would permeate the meat. Add the rest to sealed bag and let it chill for about 4 hours. The chicken was really moist and had a subtly spicy flavor - one that folks with hot heads or tender tongues could enjoy. Served this with Spicy Matoke (Plantains) for a wonderful taste of Africa. Thanks WiGal!