Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This dish is probably from the 1960's. I found an old yellow copy in my files in response for a request for this dish. Prep time is an educated guess (I hope)!
- 2 frying chicken (2 1/2-3 lbs. each)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup bacon fat or 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup catsup
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Cut chicken into serving-size pieces and coat with a mixture of the flour, salt and pepper.
- Sauté in fat until golden brown.
- Place chicken pieces in a 4 quart baking dish.
- Sauté onion and green pepper in 2 Tbsps.
- of the remaining fat.
- Add catsup, water, Worcestershire and sugar and pour over chicken.
- Bake at 350ºF.
- 1 hour or until tender.
- NOTE:This dish may be started in the morning, completely prepared except for baking.
- Refrigerate until 1 1/2 hours before serving time.
- Bring to room temperature and then bake as directed.