Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
My husband and I are both diabetic, so I'm always looking for great-tasting recipes that are low in sugar and carbohydrates. To reduce the sugar content of this recipe even further, I used diet cola.
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can cola-flavored carbonated beverage
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (3 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, cut in half
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine the cola, tomato paste, onion, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Set aside 1/2 cup for basting; cover and refrigerate.
- Carefully loosen the skin of the chicken; brush remaining sauce under skin. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray before starting the grill. Place chicken on grill rack. Grill, uncovered, over indirect medium heat for 20 minutes. Turn; grill 20-30 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear, basting occasionally with reserved sauce.