Chris Reynolds's Note:
This is a Crisco recipe for barbecued chicken. The chicken may be grilled or broiled, and you may use flattened chicken breasts instead of a mix of white and dark meat if you so desire. Prep time includes time to simmer the sauce which can be made ahead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup lemon juice or 1/3 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon barbecue grill seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 lbs fresh chicken (breast halves, thighs and drumsticks, rinsed and patted dry)
- salt and pepper
- 1Heat oil in small saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook 5 minutes, or until soft. Add ketchup, lemon juice, sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, grill seasoning and chili powder. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2Heat grill or broiler while sauce is simmering.
- 3Seson chicken generously with salt and pepper. Place on grill on medium heat or about 8-inches from broiler.
- 4Baste with sauce after about 15 minutes. Turn chicken. Baste again after 10 minutes. Cook 5 minutes longer or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF and juices run clear, turning and basting as needed.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barbecued Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (481 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 967.8
- Calories from Fat 591
- Total Fat 65.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.5 g
- Cholesterol 255.1 mg
- Sodium 1010.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 22.8 g
- Protein 65.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: