Recipe by Chris Reynolds
This is a Crisco recipe for barbecued chicken. The chicken may be grilled or broiled, and you may use flattened chicken breasts instead of a mix of white and dark meat if you so desire. Prep time includes time to simmer the sauce which can be made ahead.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice or 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon barbecue grill seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 lbs fresh chicken (breast halves, thighs and drumsticks, rinsed and patted dry)
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in small saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook 5 minutes, or until soft. Add ketchup, lemon juice, sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, grill seasoning and chili powder. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat grill or broiler while sauce is simmering.
- Seson chicken generously with salt and pepper. Place on grill on medium heat or about 8-inches from broiler.
- Baste with sauce after about 15 minutes. Turn chicken. Baste again after 10 minutes. Cook 5 minutes longer or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF and juices run clear, turning and basting as needed.