Recipe by mollypaul
You can either use your oven's broiler for this dish or your BBQ pit. From the Southwest chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 4 lbs broiler chickens (two birds)
- butter or fat, melted
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup fat, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Have the chickens split down the back.
- Preheat broiler.
- Brush with melted fat and place on a heated broiling rack, skin side down.
- Replace rack about 5" from the heat, cook about 15 minutes, turn.
- Brush other side with fat and return to broiler.
- Keep turning, allowing 45 to 60 minutes for the birds to cook.
- Combine remaining ingredients to make a sauce and baste chicken several times with it during the broiling.