Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I got this recipe out of a Ladies Home Journal magazine. I believe it was a sample of one of the recipe's from Trisha Yearwood's new cookbook. I thought it sounded good and didn't want to loose it so I'm posting it here! (Note: Cook time includes refrigeration time)
- Place chickens in a large bowl or deep pot and cover with water; add 3 tbsp salt.
- Cover and refrigerate 6 hrs or overnight.
- Heat grill to medium high,* placing rack 16 inches from heat.
- Meanwhile for basting sauce, in a small saucepan, combine vinegar, oil, 1/4 cup water, remaining 1 tbsp salt, the pepper sauce, cayenne and ground pepper.
- Bring to a boil, stirring to combine; remove from heat.
- Drain chicken and pat dry.
- Place, skin side up, on grill.
- Grill basting every 15 min, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh without touching bone registers 165 degrees, about 1 1/2 hours more.
- *Note: To cook using a stove-top grill, heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat and cook chicken, skin side up, basting occasionally, 15 minute.
- Turn and cook, basting occasionally, 10 min more.
- Transfer to oven and bake, basting every 15 min, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh without touching bone registers 165 degrees, 40 to 45 minute.