Prep 9 hrs
Cook 12 mins
This recipe is from Marcia Adams' book Cooking from Quilt County. I loved this non-ketchup based marinade. I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small bay leaf
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 4 chicken breasts, boned and halved, skin on
- In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients except chicken and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat.
- Set aside and refrigerate some of the sauce.
- Place chicken pieces in a shallow glass dish and pour remaining sauce over the chicken. Cover and marinate, refrigerated, overnight.
- The next day, grill chicken over hot coals or on gas grill. Brush frequently on each side with the sauce. Grill approximately 6 minutes/side or until done as desired.
- Use reserved sauce to pour over chicken before serving.
Very good! The chicken was juicy, and the marinade gave it a wonderful, subtle flavor. I followed the ingredient list exactly, except I used boneless, skinless breasts. Thanks for posting!