Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is from Cooks Illustrated. Delicious.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons grated onions
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- table salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Move oven rack to top position and heat oven to 325°F.
- Combine ketchup, onion, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, molasses, maple syrup, vinegar, chili powder, and cayenne with a whisk.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in ovenproof skillet over high heat.
- Sear chicken 1 or 2 minutes on each side then transfer to plate.
- Pour off fat from the skillet and add your sauce mixture.
- Scrape browned bits from skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer; stir frequently until sauce thickens, 4 minutes or so.
- Add chicken back to the skillet and coat thickly with the sauce; spoon some sauce on top of the chicken to give it a thick coating.
- Place skillet in oven and cook for 10 to 14 minutes until chicken reaches 130°F.
- Adjust temperature to broil and cook for another 10 to 14 minutes until chicken registers 160°F.
- Move chicken to a platter to rest.
- Whisk sauce remaining in skillet, transfer to a bowl, and serve alongside the chicken.