Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
We like to make this during the summer for a change of pace to our standard burgers. They always seem to be a hit. This will make 8 child-sized and 4 adult burgers. We don't cook burgers medium-rare anymore, so for us the cooking takes a little longer. From Bon Appetit.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce, purchased
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 12 hamburger buns with sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- lettuce leaf
- tomatoes, sliced
- Mix first 4 ingredients in large bowl until blended.
- Mix in pepper.
- Shape half of meat mixture into eight 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Shape remaining meat mixture into four 1-inch-thick patties. (Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover and chill.).
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat).
- Grill patties to desired doneness, topping with cheese for last minute of cooking, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare 1/2-inch-thick patties, and about 6 minutes per side for medium-rare 1-inch-thick patties.
- Place burgers on bottom halves of buns.
- Top with lettuce, tomatoes and upper halves of buns.
As soon as I saw this recipe I knew that my husband would love it. And he did! (Me too though!) The barbecue sauce was a nice touch...I'd never had bbq mixed in with the meat before. I did add slices of onion on top of our burgers too but otherwise made as directed. Thanks for posting. These are keepers! I'm looking forward to making these alot out on the grill now that summer is coming! Made for Lazyme's Cook-A-Thon
Just a fat, juicy, savory burger off the grill, that's all. We don't make them an inch thick, and we didn't get as many out as the recipe suggested... but what we got, we enjoyed. Made for Photo Tag March 2008.