Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Always on the look out for seafood recipes for the barbie for when we are on holiday in a caravan park. From Australian Good Food mini cookbook. Have not included 2 hours to overnight marination time.
- 750 g calamari (4 whole)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (60ml)
- 1 lemon (juice and grated rind of)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 5 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 1 chili (long red sliced)
- To clean calamari, remove heads and tentacles by pulling gently from the bodies.
- Pull intestines from calamari tubes and discard and cut tentacles away from heads, just below the eyes.
- Discard heads and pull transparent quills out of tubes and discard.
- Place a little salt on your fingers for grip and peel skin from tubes and discard and then rinse tubes under cold water.
- Cut tubes on one side, flatten and score inside in a criss-cross pattern and cut into quarters lengthways.
- Combine calamari, tentacles, olive oil, lemon rind and juice, oregano, garlic and chilli in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight to marinate.
- Preheat a barbecue plate on high and cook calamari turning for 3 to 5 minutes until browned and just opaque.
- Transfer to a bowl and season to taste and serve.