Recipe by Chef MB
No idea where this one came from, but it sounds good! Prep time includes time to soak the beans.
- 1 lb dried black-eyed peas (about 2.5 c)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 lb chicken sausage, Italian
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove any beans that are bad: discolored, cracked, or shriveled.
- Place the dried black-eyed peas in a strainer and rinse well under.
- cold water. Drain. Place the drained black-eyed peas in a large.
- bowl or pot, and cover with 7.5 c fresh, cold water (that’s 3 c water.
- for every 1 c dried beans). Let the covered beans soak 4 hours on.
- the kitchen counter. They will increase in volume. Drain the black-.
- eyed peas and rinse again under cold water.
- In a small skillet, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Saute the.
- minced garlic until it is toasted and brown. Set aside. In a soup pot,.
- bring the chicken broth to a gentle boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the toasted garlic to the soup pot. Add the drained peas, and.
- boil in the broth over medium-high heat, uncovered, for 25 minutes.
- Peas will be al dente. Reduce heat to low, and simmer vigorously.
- for 20 more minutes until peas have absorbed most of the broth.
- Black-eyed peas should be tender but not mushy.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown sausage and onions; drain.
- off excess fat. Place cooked sausage and onions in a large bowl.
- Stir in brown sugar, mustard, salt, and barbecue sauce. Add the.
- cooked black-eyed peas, and stir well to coat.