11 hrs 30 mins
America's Test Kitchen
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 (5 lb) flat-cut beef brisket, trimmed
- 2 onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1Combine sugar, 2 tablespoons chipotles, cumin, paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, and 2 teaspoons pepper in bowl.
- 2Using fork, prick brisket all over.
- 3Rub sugar mixture over brisket, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 8-24 hours.
- 4Unwrap brisket and place in slow cooker.
- 5Microwave onions, tomato paste, garlic, oil, chili powder, and remaining tablespoon chipotles in a bowl, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
- 6Transfer to slow cooker.
- 7Add water to slow cooker; cover and cook until beef is tender, 9-11 hours on LOW or 5-7 hours on HIGH.
- 8Transfer brisket to cutting board, tent loosely with foil and let rest for 20 minutes.
- 9Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- 10Whisk in ketchup, vinegar, and liquid smoke and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Slice brisket 1/2 inch thick against grain and arrange on serving platter.
- 12Spoon 1 cup sauce over meat and serve with remaining sauce.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barbecued Beef Brisket
Serving Size: 1 (358 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 538.9
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 175.7 mg
- Sodium 363.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 16.9 g
- Protein 59.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo