Prep 30 mins
Cook 11 hrs
America's Test Kitchen
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 (5 lb) flat-cut beef brisket, trimmed
- 2 onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Combine sugar, 2 tablespoons chipotles, cumin, paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, and 2 teaspoons pepper in bowl.
- Using fork, prick brisket all over.
- Rub sugar mixture over brisket, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 8-24 hours.
- Unwrap brisket and place in slow cooker.
- Microwave onions, tomato paste, garlic, oil, chili powder, and remaining tablespoon chipotles in a bowl, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add water to slow cooker; cover and cook until beef is tender, 9-11 hours on LOW or 5-7 hours on HIGH.
- Transfer brisket to cutting board, tent loosely with foil and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Whisk in ketchup, vinegar, and liquid smoke and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice brisket 1/2 inch thick against grain and arrange on serving platter.
- Spoon 1 cup sauce over meat and serve with remaining sauce.