Recipe by Linda's Kitch
A friend shared this recipe with me a very long time ago. The recipe renders a fork-tender and very moist and flavorful brisket. BE AWARE: The beef takes about 4 to 5 hours to bake. There are some minimal beef preparations that need to be done the night before you wish to serve the brisket. The recipe calls for FLAT beef brisket-you'll find it sold as a FLAT CUT or POINT CUT. The flat cut is leaner, but the point cut has more flavor, due to a bit of extra fat.
- 3 -5 lbs beef brisket (recipe called for flat beef brisket)
- 4 ounces liquid smoke (grocery item)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt (recipe just called for a sprinkling placed over the brisket)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion salt (recipe just called for a sprinkling placed over the brisket)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt (recipe just called for a sprinkling placed over the brisket)
- 1 cup catsup
- 2 cups water
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- THE NIGHT BEFORE BAKING THE BRISKET (or at least 6 hours before baking): Place the brisket in a baking pan and pour the liquid smoke over the brisket. Sprinkle brisket with the celery, onion, and garlic salt. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- PRIOR TO BAKING THE BRISKET: Make the barbecue sauce. Barbecue Sauce Instructions: In a small saucepan, thoroughly combine the catsup, water, Tabasco sauce, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Bring the sauce to a boil, then remove from heat. Cool, then refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.
- BAKING THE BRISKET: Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Remove the plastic wrap from the brisket, then place aluminum foil over the brisket, extending the foil over the side of the pan. Bake brisket 4 to 5 hours; AFTER THE FIRST HOUR OF BAKING, pour the barbecue sauce over the brisket, then recover and baste every hour until meat is fork-tender and is fully cooked. Remove brisket from oven and before slicing, let it rest for 10 minutes to allow the juices to re-distribute.