Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is down home cooking! I love barbecue sauce, so this is a favorite of mine. I also think I use way more cheese than listed (cheese is my downfall!)
- Heat oil in non-stick skillet.
- Add onion, garlic, peppers and green onions, and cook until onion is starting to brown.
- Add ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally until cooked through.
- Add tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Add barbecue sauce and cook until all is well-coated. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Spray a large baking pan with cooking spray.
- Arrange alternate layers of potatoes, beef mixture, and cheese, ending with potatoes. (reserve 1/4 cup cheese).
- Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes.
- Uncover and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until potatoes are cooked through, about 15 minutes more.
- Serve immediately.
Just made this for dinner...and got rave reviews from the family. I altered the recipe slighty; (I doubled it as well) I did not use any green peppers but added raosted red bell pepper and pasrley. I also substituted two cans of rotel tomatoes instead of the chopped tomatoes(I made a double recipe) I very wisely blanched the potatoes first (which cut down on the baking time). This was very nice comfort style food and I anticipate getting many more requests to make this dish. Thanks!
this is a great recipe, when your teenage sons accuse their father of stealing the leftovers, and he laughs fiendishly you know that this is a family favourite. I was unsure of the bbq sauce, but it is what makes this casserole delicious.
Simple but robust flavors. I was kind of weary of how this dish would turn out, but it turned out delicious! I didn't bother with the repeated layering process. I just spread the meat mixture on the bottom, then laid very thinly sliced potatoes on top of each other with the ends overlapping gently, clasping each other like new lovers holding hands. Then baked, and spread the cheese for the last ten minutes. Very hearty and satisfying!