Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
My family loves this dish, to save some time fry bacon up to a day in advance, the jalapenos are only optional, I like to add them in for extra heat -- this complete dish can be prepared up to a day in advance then refrigerated until ready to bake -- this makes a huge amount so its perfect to take to a potluck! -- adjust the brown sugar to taste, if you like sweeter then add in more, also two cans of kidney beans can be used in place of the butter beans, serve this on cooked rice if desired --- you will *LOVE* this! :)
Top Review by Senior Lady
This will become a mainstay in our house. As soon as he tasted it, DH said "you need to make this again." I followed recipe exactly except for jalapeno because it doesn't like me. There is no improving on the flavor and what can I say--you've done it again! Leftovers were just as good if not better.
- 8 slices bacon (cooked until crisp then chopped)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely (optional or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar (can use more to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups barbecue sauce (or to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pork and beans (can use 3 cans if desired)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 (15 ounce) can butter beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pork and beans (undrained)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 4-quart casserole dish.
- In a large skillet cook the bacon until crisp; remove to plate cool slightly then crumble.
- To the same skillet brown the ground beef with onions, garlic and jalapeno peppers; cook over medium high heat until meat is no longer pink; drain fat and return the meat to skillet then add in chili powder; cook until meat is WELL browned (this might take about 15 minutes or more).
- Add in ALL remaining ingredients along with the cooked crumbled bacon; bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Set oven to 350 degrees (second-lowest oven rack).
- Bake uncovered for 1-1/2 hours or until thickened, stirring occasionally (this will become thicker the longer it is cooked).