Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 slice bacon
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can great northern beans, drained
- 1⁄3 cup Equal sugar substitute
- Cut bacon into 1” pieces.
- Cook in medium saucepan 3-4 minutes.
- Add onion and bell pepper and cook until bacon is crisp and onion is tender.
- Combine ketchup, vinegar, water, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Add to bacon mixture.
- Stir in beans, reduce, heat.
- Simmer, covered 15-20 minutes.
- Add Equal and stir.
We enjoyed these beans. I did sub. pork and beans for the great northern beans as that is what was in my cupboard. I didn't add any sweetener as the beans are a bit sweet already. Even with that I found it to be a bit sweet and next time will reduce the ketchup a bit. They do taste very rich and the flavours all mix wonderfully. I will be making this recipe again with the couple of changes mentioned. Thanks for sharing your recipe. This was made for Fall PAC 2008.