Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 45 mins
From "Full of Beans", Good Food Magazine February 1988
- 453.59 g navy beans or 453.59 g great northern bean, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml tomato sauce
- 118.29 ml apple cider
- 59.14 ml molasses
- 29.58 ml Bourbon
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 14.79 ml dry mustard
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2.46 ml salt (or to taste)
- 1.23 ml fresh ground pepper (or to taste)
- 226.79 g smoked ham, finely diced
- Soak beans overnight in plenty of cold water; or boil 2 minutes, cover, and let stand 1 hour.
- Drain beans and transfer to large saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover beans generously. Stir in onion. Boil uncovered 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until beans are tender, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Combine all remaining ingredients except in ham in mixing bowl and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain beans, reserving 1 cup liquid. Transfer bean to medium casserole, pour sauce over beans, and stir to coat. Stir in ham and reserved liquid and spread mixture evenly in casserole.
- Bake covered about 35 minutes, then remove cover and continue to bake until liquid is almost completely absorbed, about 1-1/2 hurs.
Delish. So.... much better than the canned variety and well worth the extra effort. Made for newest tag.Another keeper jackie. I didn't have ham, so subed bacon on top.