Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Bon Appetite, November 2004. Times do not include time to marinate.
Make and share this Barbecue Turkey Sandwiches recipe from Food.com.
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 lb thickly sliced cooked turkey, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 2⁄3 cup purchased barbecue sauce
- 1⁄4 cup homemade turkey broth or 1⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 4 soft sandwich buns, halved, toasted
- Combine first 3 ingredients in medium bowl.
- Let stand at room temperature until onion softens, tossing occasionally, about 2 hours; or cover and chill up to 1 day.
- Combine turkey, barbecue sauce, and broth in medium nonstick skillet.
- Bring to simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer until heated through, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Arrange bottoms of buns on plates.
- Spoon turkey mixture onto buns.
- Using tongs, pile pickled-onion mixture atop turkey.
- Cover with top halves of buns.