Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Simple good side dish. This is from BH&G all time favorite Barbecue recipes cookbook. Posted as public to www.recipezarr.com on May 4 2009.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup quick-cooking rice
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, crushed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a heavy 8 inch skillet combine all ingredients, stir to combine and dot mixture with butter.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer.
- After 20 - 25 minutes fluff rice with a fork and serve.
I made this exactly as described, other than adding a bit of extra liquid as I felt necessary, so my veggies were nicely cooked. I added a bit of sliced chorizo to the mix, and I boiled a couple of eggs and then chopped them over the finished dish, and we enjoyed this as a very good supper dish, excellent for mid-week when you want something quick and good with the minimum of fuss. Thank you Papa D, this recipe was made for I Recommend tag game, and also in your memory.
This was a good, quick recipe. Next time I would probably saute the onions and peppers in butter first so the wouldn't be so crunchy. I like the other reviewers suggestion of using a can of tonatoes with jalapenos. Made for the Papa D Cookathon.
This rice dish is so easy and really tasty! I left out the onions, otherwise made as specified. This has a nice mild flavor - next time I may use canned tomatoes with jalapenos to give it some extra kick. Thanks for posting this recipe! Made for Fall PAC 2009