Recipe by juniperwoman
This recipe sounded really different and good. It's the centerpiece of bhg.com's "New Traditions Thanksgiving Dinner." To accompany the turkey, bhg.com suggests you whip up some cranberry barbeque sauce, which I have also posted. Just look up "cranberry barbeque sauce." I hope you like both recipes!
Top Review by LainieBug
Delicious and spicy turkey breast. I used the rub under the skin and tented the turkey with foil (the skin shrinks once it has been loosened and I didn't want the meat to dry out). I also cut the salt back to 1/2 teaspoon due to dietary restrictions. Meat was moist and tender. Leftovers were thinly sliced and used in turkey sandwiches, YUM.
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs bone-in turkey breast halves (2, can be fresh or frozen)
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw turkey, if frozen. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a large shallow roasting pan and rack with cooking spray.
- In small bowl combine brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, salt, cumin, chili powder, and pepper. Place turkey breast halves, bone side down, on roasting rack in prepared pan. Set aside.
- Starting at breast bone, slip fingers between skin and meat to loosen skin, leaving skin attached at top. Lift skin and spread spice mixture evenly under skin over breast meat. Insert oven-going meat thermometer into thickest part of breast, without touching bone.
- Roast, uncovered, on lower rack of oven for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Roast 1 to 1-1/2 hours longer or until thermometer registers 170 degrees F., juices run clear, and turkey is no longer pink, occasionally spooning pan juices over turkey. Let stand, covered with foil, for 10 minutes before slicing. Place breast halves on platter. Serve with Cranberry Barbecue Sauce.
- Test Kitchen Tip: To simplify, you can rub the spice mixture onto the outside of turkey breast for a crusty spice appearance. Place foil over turkey breast last 30 minutes of roasting to prevent burning.