Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
I like this recipe because of the blend of flavours. Also, you can make this sauce in bulk ahead of time and freeze it into cooking portions for an easy meal during the week.
- 4 lbs pork ribs (or 2 lbs of ribs and 2 lbs of chicken)
- 1 -2 onion
- 2 -3 small tart apples
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch celery seed
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make sauce: On stove, saute 1 onion in butter/margarine on low heat.
- Add ketchup, cayenne pepper, water, celery seed, vinegar, garlic and brown sugar.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for half an hour, stirring occasionally.
- In the mean time, on the stove, boil the ribs just for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from stove.
- Chop the other onion.
- Layer onion, meat, apples.
- Pour sauce over everything.
- Cover and bake for an hour or until done.