Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This barbecue shrimp is derived from one Doe Signa, of Doe's Eat Place in Greenville, Mississippi. It calls for shrimp to be cooked over coals; but if you are willing to sacrifice the smoky flavor, they can be cooked any which way.
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, your choice (tomato based)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 lbs jumbo shrimp, cleaned, deveined, and butterflied
- lemon, as garnish
- parsley, as garnish
- Melt butter in a saucepan over med-low heat. Stir in the garlic, and cook until it is soft, 2-3 minutes.
- Add barbecue sauce, pepper, and lemon juice. Bring to simmer. Remove from heat.
- Cook the shrimp directly over white-hot coals 3-5 minutes (no longer!), turning once and basting well with the barbecue sauce while cooking.
- Serve the shrimp with the remaining basting sauce drizzled over them.
- Garnish with parsley and lemon.