Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
When cooled, this may be refrigerated in a sealed jar for 2 to 3 weeks. As a sauce, it may be served cold, or reheated and served hot. Use with beef, but it is also delicious with barbecued chicken. To use as a marinade, place the meat in the liquid, cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours or more, turning the meat several times. Brush the marinade left in the dish over the meat as it cooks.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over low heat; add onion and garlic and cook until soft, but not brown.
- Add all remaining ingredients; stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Makes 1 to 1 1/2 cups.