1/2 Photos of Barbecue Sauce for Chicken on the Grill
I always fully bake chicken pieces or halved chickens destined for grilling over coals, to save us all that problem of having a scorched or burnt chicken which is still not cooked through! There are BBQ experts who can actually grill chickens, get them cooked through, and not burn them, but my husband isn't one of them!! (This problem does not occur when the Weber kettle braai is used!) This sauce is brushed on the chicken halves or pieces every now and then, and when turned over. It can also be a marinade for chicken done in the oven. Don't be put off by the list of ingredients: it's mostly spices, and most of them you'll have at hand. Any sauce you don't need can be kept in a bottle in the fridge and will last almost forever.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons coarse grain mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup chutney, fruity
- 1 tablespoon coriander, the whole seeds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1Starting from the top (or whichever way you like!) put all the ingredients in a blender or processor.
- 2Blend slowly, then at high speed, until you have a thick, smooth, orangey sauce.
- 3Taste for seasoning: I do not know what your chutney tastes like, or whether you might want more vinegar in the sauce. It's a personal thing.
- 4Keeps ages in a bottle in the fridge. Just shake again before use.
- 5This sauce is what we use when grilling over wood coals and/or charcoal.
- 6As the chicken grills, brush on the sauce several times, until it almost forms a kind of "crust". Be careful not to burn the sauce. That is why it is a good idea to bake or boil the chicken before grilling.
- 7(Beware of "boiling out" the taste. Baking is better. If you do boil the chicken, do so in chicken broth to conserve the flavour. The cooking liquid can then be saved and used for soup).
Browse Our Top Marinades and Rubs Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Marinades and Rubs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barbecue Sauce for Chicken on the Grill
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 777.6
- Calories from Fat 592
- Total Fat 65.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1668.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 45.7 g
- Protein 0.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
coarse grain mustard