Prep 40 mins
Cook 5 mins
From a cook book called The Family Kitchen Fast-Healthy Cooking.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 400 g tomatoes (14oz canned chopped)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 55 g dark brown sugar (2oz/1/3 cup)
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (puree)
- Heat the toil in a pan and add the onion and cook over a low heat for about 5 minutes, until softened but not browned.
- Add the remaining ingredients, season to taste with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 to 30 minutes, until thickened and then spoon into a serving bowl.
I did enjoy the flavor here, though after reading the recipe I added a little Jack Daniels Barbecue sauce, because I though there was going to be enough liquid to this. I ended up just over 1/3 cup barbecue sauce to it. Then I used it for a topping on some meatloaf, as an alternate to the tradition ketchup. I am going to try this again, but drop the BBq sauce down to just under 1/3 cup, and try it on some chicken legs, that I have thawing. Tagged and made for Holiday Tag.