Prep 3 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my sister's recipe, have had it for years. Very tasty, easy to prepare.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄8 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup catsup
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce (use a good brand)
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Melt the half stick butter, sauté onion.
- Add rest of ingredients and simmer 30 minutes.
- Great on chicken, hamburgers and ribs.
I thought this was pretty good. The lemon juice is a bit overwhelming for my taste, though. I will definitely reduce the amount next time. I decided to add a little more sugar and some honey to offset the tanginess from the lemon. Thanks for sharing your sister's recipe. Made for Pick A Chef, Spring 2010.
I knew I would like this as soon as I looked over the ingredients. It was excellent with chicken and I want to try a variation of it with ribs soon. Don't quite know the reasoning behind the little bit of white sugar - maybe it adds a special flavor I'm not aware of? Thanks so much for sharing!