Prep 2 mins
Cook 50 mins
Sweet and spicy sauce - good stuff.
- 2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Nu-salt (or other salt substitute)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over high heat and whisk until smooth.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes or until mixture is thick.
- Cool, then store in a covered container in the refrigerator overnight so that flavors can develop.
Fantastic! I made minor substitutions based on what I had on hand, and it still turned out fan-freaking-tastic! Thanks for posting. :)
This is great bbq sauce; tangy, sweet, spicy, smokey-it's got it all. And the corn syrup makes it glossy and cling to the food it's brushed onto. I cooked this down at a medium simmer (as opposed to a slow simmer) and it was plenty thick after 1 hour. I loved everything about this sauce-there's nothing I would change.
Very good, and cheap to make considering the price of bbq sauce here. Was much better the second day. Really needed to sit in the fridge at least overnight. I had to boil it down for quite a làong time too--longer than in the recipe. When it was still hot, even though VERYreduced, I was still unhappy with the consistency. This morning, I looked at it again, and it is the perfect consistency. This will become one more thing that I no longer have to buy in the store!