Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Home Cooking magazine.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup beer (optional)
- Mix ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, liquid smoke, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and beer in a saucepan.
- Heat to a quick boil, then simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens slightly (5 to 10 minutes). While still warm, pour into a canning jar or airtight container.
This was super good, although I tweaked it a bit. I halved it, used a fresh large garlic clove instead of powder, and added some cumin, chili powder and salt. I also didn't use any molasses and it was plenty sweet. I blended it all together in a blender, put it in a crock pot and cooked thawed chicken thighs in it on high for about 5 hours. The family raved about it, including my daughter who doesn't like BBQ. Easy and great!
Tastes great. Simple recipe with ingredients you already have in your kitchen.