Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a great BBQ sauce that I saw get made on FoodTV, I think an Ina Garten show. I made it the same day and did a few changes, based on our preferences. This sauce is thick and rich, a little bit sweet and a little spicy. This makes a lot, make half the first time you make it, then double it the next time so that you can freeze it in batches, which is what I've done.
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped yellow onions (1 large onion and the food processor works well here)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 (4 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large saucepan on low heat, saute the onions and garlic with the vegetable oil for 10 to 15 minutes, until the onions are translucent but not browned.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a low boil.
- Simmer uncovered on low heat for 30 minutes. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator.
This was a great BBQ. I put it over #38137 Easiest Tastiest BBQ Country Style Ribs. It was done completely last minute and made enough to freeze. Very tasty and spicy!!! Thanks for posting.
This is a tasty combination of sweet and spicy. It is very quick to prepare. I did reduce the chili powder by about half. Other than that it was made as per directions.