Recipe by Sharon123
Hearts of palm create an amazingly shredded pork like texture. This recipe is majorly quick and delicious! And can you believe fat free!? It's also soy free if you opt not to use the soy sauce. From My Vegan Cookbook blog. She's got great recipes!
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce (optional)
- 1 (14 ounce) can hearts of palm
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce (your favorite or try MVC's Barbeque Sauce)
Directions See How It's Made
- If you haven't seen or used hearts of palm before, they look like perfect white cylinders. To prepare the hearts of palm for cooking, slice half way into the hearts and slide your finger into the slice and pull out the tender middle of the hearts. This part of the hearts will shred very easily just by using your fingers. You can see already that this will create a very stringy, meaty texture. Now take the remaining outer part of the hearts and slice them into thinly sliced strips. These will become stringier during the cooking process.
- A note about the soy sauce. This is optional because it only really adds a tad of flavor. Mostly what it's for is to color the palms a darker color.
- Now that you have the hearts of palm prepared throw them into a nonstick skillet, on medium-high, using absolutely no oil. If you are adding the soy sauce add that now. Sizzle the hearts around stirring and mashing downward with a rubber spatula for about 7 minutes. As you do this you will see the hearts becoming stringier and more tender.
- Now add the barbecue sauce to the hearts and cook another 5 minutes on medium heat. Take off heat, cover and let this steam for 5 minutes.
- Place on bun, top with more barbecue sauce and your favorite slaw recipe.