1/1 Photo of Barbecue Roast Pork With Fruity Sweet and Sour Sauce
1 hr 10 mins
Gina, Dundee, Scotland's Note:
This dish is so easy to make.The fruity sauce would go well with chicken or fish too. I made the pork and coated cooked baby potatoes in the juices, lovely. I've made this sauce twice now and everyone loves it. I'm going to try it with bananas too, I've made it with and without the apple and it's just as good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon runny honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 -2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pinch chili powder (if required, optional) (optional) or 1 teaspoon chili sauce (if required) (optional)
- 1 kg joint pork
- 500 g baby potatoes, halved and boiled
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon rapeseed oil (flavourless)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 large mandarin oranges or 2 large tangerines, segmented
- 2 slices pineapple, diced
- 1/2 large apple, diced
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar (distilled is ok)
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1Preheat oven to 190°C.
- 2Mix Marinade ingredients together. Tomato puree, soy sauce, 1 tsp vinegar, honey, brown sugar, 5 spice, garlic, chilli and seasoning, coat the joint and marinate for an hour.
- 3Baste Pork and Roast for 1 3/4 hrs, basting occasionally.
- 4Sauté the onions and garlic in both oils until softened.
- 5Add the fruit,2 1/2 cups water, sugar, vinegar, ketchup and seasoning.
- 6Simmer for 10 minutes.
- 7Mix cornflour and tbsp water to runny mixture.
- 8Pour cornflour mixture into sauce, stirring until thickened.
- 9Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- 10Keep warm.
- 11When meat is ready take out and rest on a plate.
- 12Pour meat juices into a pan, warm and add cooked potatoes, coat and heat.
- 13Slice meat adding any juices to the potatoes.
- 14Serve with mixed vegetables eg carrots, broccoli and red cabbage for colour variety.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barbecue Roast Pork With Fruity Sweet and Sour Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (541 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 908.4
- Calories from Fat 223
- Total Fat 24.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 210.0 mg
- Sodium 1006.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 70.6 g
- Protein 73.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder
white wine vinegar