This dish is so easy to make.The fruity sauce would go well with chicken or fish too. I made the pork and coated cooked baby potatoes in the juices, lovely. I've made this sauce twice now and everyone loves it. I'm going to try it with bananas too, I've made it with and without the apple and it's just as good.
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon runny honey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 -2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pinch chili powder (if required, optional) (optional) or 1 teaspoon chili sauce (if required) (optional)
- 1 kg joint pork
- 500 g baby potatoes, halved and boiled
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon rapeseed oil (flavourless)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 large mandarin oranges or 2 large tangerines, segmented
- 2 slices pineapple, diced
- 1⁄2 large apple, diced
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar (distilled is ok)
- 1⁄2 cup tomato ketchup
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Mix Marinade ingredients together. Tomato puree, soy sauce, 1 tsp vinegar, honey, brown sugar, 5 spice, garlic, chilli and seasoning, coat the joint and marinate for an hour.
- Baste Pork and Roast for 1 3/4 hrs, basting occasionally.
- Sauté the onions and garlic in both oils until softened.
- Add the fruit,2 1/2 cups water, sugar, vinegar, ketchup and seasoning.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix cornflour and tbsp water to runny mixture.
- Pour cornflour mixture into sauce, stirring until thickened.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Keep warm.
- When meat is ready take out and rest on a plate.
- Pour meat juices into a pan, warm and add cooked potatoes, coat and heat.
- Slice meat adding any juices to the potatoes.
- Serve with mixed vegetables eg carrots, broccoli and red cabbage for colour variety.