Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Southern Living - sounds so incredibly southern I just had to post and will no doubt actually make :)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups thick barbecue sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 lb shredded pork with barbecue sauce
- For Cheese Grits Crust Batter:.
- Bring water and milk to boil in a large saucepan; add grits, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in cheese, salt, and pepper; remove from heat.
- Stir about one-fourth of grits mixture gradually into beaten eggs; add to remaining grits mixture, stirring constantly.
- Sauté onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Stir in flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in barbecue sauce and beef broth; cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken.
- Stir in pork, and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, and spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Spoon Cheese Grits Crust Batter evenly over hot barbecue mixture.
- Bake at 425° for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and set.
Oh. My. Goodness. This is Fabulous,
Yum - comfort food meets BBQ! I was scared at the amount of BBQ sauce the recipe called for but turned out great. Served with Trader Joe's Southern Greens, simmered per instructions on the package.