Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
My son and I love to watch Paula Deen on the Food network. When I found one of her cookbooks, I had to buy it. This is one of her recipes. There have been no negative responses when I make this for my family or large group dinners. I have never been a big meatloaf fan, but this has so much flavor packed in it, it really is good.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Mix together the beef, breadcrumbs, onion, egg, salt, pepper, and ½ cup of the tomato sauce.
- Form this mixture into a loaf and place it in a shallow pan.
- Stir together the remaining tomato sauce, the water, vinegar, sugar, mustard, and Worcestershire.
- Pour this sauce over the meatloaf.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, basting occasionally with the pan juices.
This is the meatloaf I grew up with and it is still the main one that I make. I think the only thing I tweak is to use a little more salt and pepper. I have also used rotel tomato sauce in the actual sauce that goes over the meatloaf for an extra kick. I have had and made a lot of meatloafs in my 46 years, and this is still one of my favorites.
I love Paula Deen but sorry to say this meatloaf wasnt a winner for me. DH really enjoyed it, especially the sauce. I used ground chuck but I think ground round would be nicer to limit the amount of grease. Made and reviewed for the Iron Chef Secret Ingredient tag game.