Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 15 mins
I liked these a lot. From the American Diabetes Association. Serve it with some cornbread, and I'm pretty sure you've got a complete protein fixed up.
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried lima beans (1/2 lb.)
- 1 ham bone or 1 ham hock
- 1⁄2 medium onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- Place beans in soup pot with ham bone or hock. Add 3 cups water and boil 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; cover; let stand one hour.
- Drain beans, saving 1 cup liquid. Combine beans and reserved liquid with everything else.
- Bake at 300°F in a 1.25-quart casserole for 2.25 hours, uncovering the last 30 minutes.
- More liquid may be added if necessary, so keep an eye on it.
Interesting dish. Used a ham bone from an Easter ham sale. Made as directed. Wouldn't change a thing! Thanks, Debbie R.!
This is really good and that it came from the A.D.A. is a real + to me. I did up the ham bone last night and put the bean pot in the oven at 7 am for tonight's dinner and have been tantalized by the aroma. I think it might be able to use a touch more vinegar but Dh sampled an he said no, that it was just fine. Theres something wonderful about beans baking in a heavy pottery crock on a cold winters day. This is delightful, homey and delish. Dh says he'll have it for lunch, no need to wait for dinner. The recipe works very well and I had no need to add any water and the Lima's are tender without being mush.