Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe uses a whole chicken barbecued in the oven. Bring the outdoors in with this winner. Adapted from Kraftfoods.
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (your favorite)
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning (or Mrs Dash)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and mashed
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 whole chicken
- Preheat oven to 350°F Cut zested lemons in half, squeeze out juice into a small bowl and set aside halves. Add zest, barbecue sauce, and seasonings to the lemon juice; mix well.
- Place chicken in baking pan. Place 2 of the lemon halves along with the mashed cloves of garlic and roesmary sprig into the cavity of the chicken.
- Rub skin of chicken all over with remaining 2 lemon halves and discard. Tie legs together with twine.
- Bake 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until chicken is cooked through to 170F brushing with the barbecue sauce mixture every 5 min during the last 20 minutes of baking.
- Remove chicken from oven, and discard lemon halves and garlic cloves from chicken cavity. Skim fat from drippings in pan, and serve with the chicken.
This was OK...not as impressed with it as I had hoped. I think if you were to reduce the lemon zest to just one lemon, it would be better, 'cause 2 makes the sauce bitter..or maybe add some honey or brown sugar to the sauce. IDK if I'll make this again or not. THANKS for sharing, though!
Amazing chicken! I wouldnt change a thing! My kids ate the legs with no problems!!! Normally they're asking for dip and NOT this time! A definate keeper forever! Thank you so much!
I made this for Please Review and was not dissapointed! Everyone loved it, although my BBQ was a bit too spicy for the kids. The chicken was close to done at 1 1/2 hours, so I basted it for about 15 minutes and had a lot of sauce left over. Used dried rosemary. I haven't made whole chicken in awhile and I cooked it upside down! :oops: