Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 4 Thai red chili peppers, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fish sauce, to taste
- 2⁄3 cup lime juice, to taste
- 4 teaspoons palm sugar, to taste
- 500 g lamb, eye of short loin
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns, ground
- 100 g mixed salad greens
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 red capsicum, julienned
- 1 cucumber, finely sliced
- 1⁄2 cup mint leaf
- 1 cup bean thread vermicelli, soaked
- 2 tablespoons crushed peanuts, roasted
- 2 tablespoons shallots, crispy-fried
- To make the dressing, in a mortar, pound the red chillies and garlic to a paste.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the red onion, fish sauce, lime juice and sugar to taste. Stir well to mix.
- Adjust the flavours so that the sauce is equally salty and sour with a light touch of sweetness.
- Let the sauce sit for at least 15 minutes before using to allow the flavours to amalgamate.
- Rub lamb with oyster sauce and white peppercorns. Cook on a hot, lightly oiled barbecue to medium rare or about 5-7 minutes, then rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice the lamb thinly and place in a large mixing bowl with the salad greens, onion, capsicum, cucumber, mint and noodles.
- Toss gently with the dressing and pile onto a serving plate.
- Sprinkle with crushed peanuts and crispy shallots.