Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This makes a pizza-like dish, only with barbecue sauce. A quick, simple, tasty dish for a family supper--a definite kid-pleaser. A 9 1/2-oz package of biscuits gives a relatively thin crust. Use a 16 oz package of biscuits if you want a thicker crust. Update: It may be tempting to substitute ground turkey for ground beef in this recipe to make it more "heart-healthy," but because the beef flavor is an important part of this dish's appeal, I recommend against it. Of course, it's only as good as the barbecue sauce you use, so make sure you use a barbecue sauce--and a hot pepper sauce--you know you like.
- Coat a skillet with cooking spray and heat the beef and onion in a skillet until the beef is brown and the onion is soft.
- Drain off the fat and return the skillet to the stove.
- Stir in barbecue sauce and hot pepper sauce; simmer while preparing crust.
- Separate dough into 10 biscuits, place in and ungreased 13 X 9-inch pan, and press together over the bottom to form a crust.
- Spread the meat mixture over dough.
- Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 375° 15-20 minutes.
We loved this...we paired it with a corn casserole for dinner the other night, and had enough of both for leftovers the next night. I didn't add the extra biscuits on top like some did, and it was still very tasty. Great meal idea that is cheap, fast, and easy.
This was very good! We loved the unique flavor. I added some dijon mustard in with the barbeque sauce for a little tang, and I used 20 biscuits instead of 10 because mine were small. Other than that I made it as written and it was great, thanks for posting we will be having this again!
We enjoyed this but the flavor was a little awkward for us. We have tried a different spin on it with sloppy joes instead of the BBQ and we liked that much better. But we did like the BBQ ok and it is a great idea, Thanks!