Recipe by Irmgard
This recipe from Chatelaine magazine is a great way to use up leftover barbecued chicken, grilled corn, and grilled peppers. You can simplify things like I did by using cooked corn kernels and roasted peppers out of a jar. The dressing is tasty, too. You can use all mayonnaise or all yogurt if preferred, instead of using half of each as I do.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, heart
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn kernels, cooked
- 1 red pepper, preferably grilled, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile in adobo, minced (This is optional but you can use 2 if you like things really spicy)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cajun seasoning (Again, you can increase this to 1 tsp. if preferred)
Directions See How It's Made
- Tear the lettuce into bite-size pieces and place in a big bowl along with the drained beans and chicken.
- Add the corn and peppers to the lettuce mixture.
- In a small bowl, stir the mayonnaise with the yogurt, garlic, chipotle and Cajun seasoning.
- Taste and add more chipotle and seasoning if desired.
- Drizzle over the lettuce mixture and toss until well coated.
- Sprinkle with ground black pepper if you like.