Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I used to make these years ago when my children were small and they loved them. I recently ran across the recipe again and decided to make them as an appetizer and they were well received. Also great for lunch/dinner.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package cornbread or 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package corn muffin mix
- water (amount indicated on corn bread package)
- 1 -2 egg (use amount as indicated on corn bread package)
- 2⁄3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and place in a bowl.
- Add brown sugar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Prepare corn bread mix according to package directions. (The water & egg(s) in ingredients can vary from different mixes, so precise amounts are not indicated in list of ingredients.).
- Fill greased muffin cups with 2 tablespoons of batter.
- Top each with 2 tablespoons beef mixture; sprinkle with cheese.
- Top with remaining corn bread mix.
- Bake at 400°F for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers.