Recipe by COOKGIRl
My favorite chicken recipe from the book 365 Ways to Cook Chicken by Cheryl Sedaker. I have also tried this recipe using firm tofu with excellent results.
- 3 lbs whole chickens or 3 lbs chicken thighs
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup, not imitation
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish or a large, clean Ziploc bag.
- In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, maple syrup, liquid smoke, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add ketchup mixture to the chicken and stir well to distribute ingredients.
- Marinate chicken overnight or at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- First place half of the onion slices on bottom of baking dish, followed by the marinated chicken, then arrange the remaining onion slices on top. (The chicken can also be grilled). If baking in oven, place aluminum foil over chicken so that the chicken does not burn due to the high sugar content. Remove foil last ten minutes of baking.
- Bake about 50 minutes to one hour.