Recipe by Lorac
Cooking the chicken and beans in the microwave before adding the cornbread and baking in the oven make this a quick and easy casserole. From the Recipe Institute.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) envelope cornbread mix
- ingredients for cornbread mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut chicken into 3/4-inch cubes.
- Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken; cook and stir 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Combine chicken, beans, tomato sauce, bell pepper and barbecue sauce in 8-inch microwavable ovenproof dish.
- Loosely cover chicken mixture with plastic wrap or waxed paper.
- Microwave on medium-high (70% power) 8 minutes or until heated through, stirring after 4 minutes.
- While chicken mixture is heating, prepare cornbread mix according to package directions.
- Spoon batter over chicken mixture.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cornbread layer comes out clean.