Recipe by shells75
If you like barbecue but want to cut down on calories and meat dishes try this. It's one of those keeper recipes in my file.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (mild or spicy, your preference)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender.
- Stir in salsa, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and pepper.
- Add chicken, stir to coat.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve about 1/3 cup chicken on each sandwich.