Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you like barbecue but want to cut down on calories and meat dishes try this. It's one of those keeper recipes in my file.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (mild or spicy, your preference)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Saute onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender.
- Stir in salsa, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and pepper.
- Add chicken, stir to coat.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve about 1/3 cup chicken on each sandwich.