This is an easy, delicious quesadilla recipe that is not only sure to please the kiddos but the adults as well. I prefer the fold-in-half method of quesadilla assembly for ease of turning in the skillet with less risk of the innards spilling out. This recipe calls for whole wheat tortillas, but corn or another variety of tortilla could be substituted. Also, I prefer to bake the chicken cutlets in barbecue sauce, but they could also be marinated and grilled (just be sure to have extra barbecue sauce on hand for quesadilla assembly!). My kiddos want ga-ga over these quesadillas, and I hope you enjoy them too. :)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place chicken cutlets in a baking pan. Drizzle 1/4 cup BBQ sauce over one side, flip and coat the opposite side of the cutlets with the remaining sauce. Roast uncovered in the oven for 20 minutes. When cooked through, remove from oven and set aside to cool for 5 minutes. (Note: If preferred, you may grill the cutlets after marinating, but be sure to have extra barbecue sauce on hand for quesadilla assembly.).
- Remove chicken from pan to a cutting board, reserving the barbecue sauce in the pan (DO NOT DISCARD SAUCE). Slice chicken into thin strips (about 1/2 inch thickness) and return to baking dish, tossing the strips in the reserved barbecue sauce.
- To assemble quesadillas, arrange tortillas on a clean work surface. Sprinkle 2 tbs cheese onto one half of the tortilla, leaving the other half bare. Arrange chicken strips atop cheese and top with 2 tbs. cheese. Fold the other half of the tortilla onto the stuffed side. Repeat until all quesadillas are assembled.
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet over medium to slightly over medium heat. Once pan is hot, drizzle 1 - 1 1/2 tbs. olive oil into the pan and evenly coat the bottom of the pan. Carefully place two quesadillas in the pan and cook until lightly browned (2-5 minutes). Carefully turn onto the opposite side and brown. Repeat with remaining two quesadillas.
- Allow quesadillas to cool for 2-5 minutes before slicing (or else all that delicious, melted cheese will ooze out, and no one wants that to happen). With a pizza cutter, slice each quesadilla into quarters and serve immediately.