Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this recipe a long time ago from a Land O Lakes cooking mag. This is excellent for summer BBQ's as a steak or burger alternative. You can also use different types of cheese as well. You can also broil this dish in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, then turn over and cook for 20 minutes. You will need to half cook the bacon first if you broil this dish!
- 4 (12 ounce) whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, chunks
- 16 slices bacon
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- Prepare grill: place coals to one side.
- Heat until coals are ash white.
- Prepare aluminum foil drip pan, place opposite coals.
- Make slit in each chicken breast half to form a pocket.
- Place 1 chunk of cheese in each pocket.
- Roll each chicken piece into a bundle, and wrap bacon criss cross (2 slices) around chicken.
- Secure bacon with wooden picks.
- Place bundles on grill over drip pan.
- Grill, turning every 15 minutes, for 30 to 45 minutes, or until chicken is fork tender.
- Baste with barbecue sauce during the last 10 minutes of grilling.
- If crisp bacon is desired, place bacon over direct heat, turning 2-3 times during the last 10 minutes.
I used Sweet Baby Rays bbq sauce to make this recipe. Loved the flavor of the cheese and bacon along with the sauce. Made for one delicious meal. We really enjoyed! Thanks Moosey!
This recipe is OUTSTANDING!!! I baked them instead of grilling them and they turned out perfectly. We loved the oooey gooey cheese and the bacon gave the chicken breasts a great flavor. Topped with the BBQ sauce and you have a meal that will please everyone. Thanks for ANOTHER great recipe, Mooseybear.
Thanks for sharing Mooseybear. I baked ours in the oven, 30 minutes per side. The breasts were wonderful. It did take a little time to prepare, but boy was it worth it. I used sharp cheddar. I followed your instructions and skinned & deboned the breasts, I cut a deep pocket for the cheese, wrapped the bacon around the chicken and secured it with toothpicks. The texture of the chicken was tender, moist and juicy, the bacon melted in your mouth, the melted cheddar was sharp, while the bbq sauce was sweet. We really enjoyed this chicken dish.