Prep 4 hrs
Cook 30 mins
- 2 lbs chicken pieces
- 3⁄4 small onion
- 1⁄3 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 whole cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 3⁄4 cardamom pods
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red food coloring
- Remove the skin and all visible fat from the chicken pieces.
- Cut 2-3 slits, 1 inch long and 1/2 inch deep, in each piece of chicken.
- Place in a casserole dish and set aside. Cut onion into 4-5 pieces.
- In a blender jar put onion, tomato sauce, yogurt, ginger, garlic cloves, coriander, cayenne pepper, cloves, cumin seeds, cardamom pods, salt, garam masala and red food coloring.
- Blend to a smooth paste. Pour the tandoori paste on the chicken and turn pieces to thoroughly coat with spices.
- Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator 4-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Remove chicken pieces from the marinade, saving marinade. Arrange pieces in a broiler pan.
- Bake uncovered in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes.
- Turn pieces over and brush with remaining marinade. Bake for 10-15 minutes until chicken is tender.
- Turn oven to broil.
- Turn pieces over once again and broil for 5 minutes to get a nice red color.
- Transfer to a serving platter.
- Serve with lemon wedges or squeeze lemon juice over the chicken before eating, if desired.