Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A zesty twist on an old favorite perfect for summertime entertaining from Chex cereal.
- 3 cups Rice Chex
- 3 cups Corn Chex
- 1 1⁄2 cups pretzel twists
- 1 1⁄2 cups bite-size cheese crackers
- 3⁄4 cup honey-roasted peanuts
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Stir together cereals, pretzels, crackers and peanuts in large microwavable bowl; set aside.
- Stir together remaining ingredients until blended.
- Pour over cereal mixture in bowl, stirring until evenly coated.
- Microwave uncovered on High 10 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes (time is approximate due to individual variances in microwaves).
- Spread on aluminum foil or paper towels to cool.
- Store in airtight container.
This stuff is addictive! I made mine in the oven, one hour at 250 degrees, stirring every 15 minutes. The flavor varies quite a bit by the type of barbecue sauce that you use.
I picked this because my boys love BBQ everything. It was just okay for them, and almost the entire batch that I made to take to a family gathering came back home, while other chex versions were gone. I don't think I'll make this again.
Tasty! Unusual combination of sweet, salty, tangy and crunchy. Very little added fat, too. I think I undercooked mine a bit, being careful not to burn it in my microwave. Quick and easy and DH and the kids enjoyed it! Thanks, Molly, for sharing the recipe!