Recipe by Kim1
a totaly different take on Beef stew but this is so good you will have them asking for more if they like BBQ.Cooking time also depends on your crockpot.
Top Review by Ginny Ax
WOW, this is really good! It is hard to describe, but I would say it is like Swiss Steak with a twist. It has BBQ sauce in it, but you can't really taste it. The only thing I did different was to add a dash of liquid smoke and some Tony Chacheries seasoning. It will be added to my rotation, Thanks for posting!!
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion, separated into rings
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups beef broth or 2 cups beef stock
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1⁄3 cup bottled barbecue sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In skillet brown meat in hot oil.
- Drain off fat.
- Place onion rings, green pepper and garlic in crockery cooker.
- Place meat atop; sprinkle with salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Add beef broth, undrained tomatoes, mushrooms and barbecue sauce; stir to mix.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8-10 hours.
- Turn cooker to high-heat setting.
- Blend 1/4 cup cold water slowly into cornstarch; stir into stew.
- Cover and cook till thickened and bubbly, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over hot rice.