Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 hrs
a totaly different take on Beef stew but this is so good you will have them asking for more if they like BBQ.Cooking time also depends on your crockpot.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion, separated into rings
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups beef broth or 2 cups beef stock
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1⁄3 cup bottled barbecue sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- hot cooked rice
- In skillet brown meat in hot oil.
- Drain off fat.
- Place onion rings, green pepper and garlic in crockery cooker.
- Place meat atop; sprinkle with salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Add beef broth, undrained tomatoes, mushrooms and barbecue sauce; stir to mix.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8-10 hours.
- Turn cooker to high-heat setting.
- Blend 1/4 cup cold water slowly into cornstarch; stir into stew.
- Cover and cook till thickened and bubbly, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over hot rice.
WOW, this is really good! It is hard to describe, but I would say it is like Swiss Steak with a twist. It has BBQ sauce in it, but you can't really taste it. The only thing I did different was to add a dash of liquid smoke and some Tony Chacheries seasoning. It will be added to my rotation, Thanks for posting!!
My ultimate goal is to be a OAMC chef, but right now I seem to do well being a OAWC chef. I like to cook ahead for fast delicious meals. This stew is delicious. I used KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce (my favorate). The prep work couldn't be any easier. I had some of the stew over rice as directed. Very filling and flavorful. I found this dish had a buttery, smokey flavor to it. Thanks for sharing.